# World Food Day 2021 is celebrated under the slogan "Our future is in our hands: better production, better nutrition, better environment and better quality of life". For the second year, the World Food Day has been taking place against the backdrop of the fight against the large-scale consequences of the global epidemic of COVID-19. The pandemic has caused an economic downturn, which has caused the number of hungry people on the planet to rise from 690 million to 811 million. Moreover, healthy diets are economically unaffordable for over 3 billion people.
On September 23, the UN Food Systems Summit endorsed a comprehensive approach to transforming agro-food systems to combat poverty and hunger, reduce inequality and preserve the environment.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) undertook to assume to taking the lead in ensuring the success of the ambitious and urgent efforts to make the world's food and agriculture systems more efficient, inclusive, resilient and resilient.
The Summit, held during the annual week of high-level events of the UN General Assembly in New York, brought together world leaders, experts, farmers and producers, representatives of indigenous peoples, the private sector and civil society. The participants joined forces in one of the most comprehensive attempts to bring food production and consumption in line with the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In preparation for the Summit, countries held national dialogues and formulated national commitments.
This year, to mark World Food Day, the FAO Moscow Office, the Eurasian Peoples' Assembly and the Moscow State University of Food Production (MGUPP) open a dialogue on follow-up to the Summit in the Russian Federation, which will serve as an incentive for all stakeholders to follow the five lines of action designated by the UN Secretary General.
The event will take place in online and offline format in Russian.
October 19 | 12:30 -14.00 (Moscow time)
Discussion moderator - Oleg Yulievich Kobyakov, Director of the FAO Office in Moscow
12:30 p.m. - Opening
12:35 p.m. - FAO video presentation for the World Food Day 2021
12:40 p.m. - Welcome words by:
- Alexey Petrovich Mayorov, Member of the Federation Council of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation, Chairman of the Federation Council Committee on Agrarian and Food Policy and Environmental Management (video message)
- Dilyara Salikhzyanovna Ravilova-Borovik, acting Permanent Representative of the Russian Federation to FAO and other international organizations in Rome (to be agreed)
- Irina Mikhailovna Donnik, Vice President of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences (to be agreed)
- Svetlana Konstantinovna Smirnova, First Deputy Secretary General - Head of the General Secretariat of the Eurasian Peoples' Assembly
- Mikhail Grigorievich Balykhin, Rector of the Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Higher Education "Moscow State University of Food Production", Doctor of Economics, Professor
13:00 - Speeches by panelists:
- Alexandra Vasilievna Ochirova, UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador, Co-Chair of the General Council of the Eurasian Peoples' Assembly
- Petr Viktorovich Ilyichev, Director of the Department of International Organizations of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia (to be confirmed)
- Tatyana Mikhailovna Volodko, Head of the International Organizations Department of the Department of International Cooperation and Development of Export of Agricultural Products of the Ministry of Agriculture of Russia (to be agreed)
- Elizaveta Evgenievna Tarasova, First Vice-Rector for Research, Belgorod University of Cooperation, Economics and Law (Belgorod)
- Alexander Nikolaevich Panin, Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Doctor of Biological Sciences, FAO and WHO expert
13:55 - Closing remarks by the moderator
Join the webinar:
Contacts at the FAO Office in Moscow: Vladimir Mikheev, Press Secretary, Vladimir.Mikheev@fao.org, tel.: +7 916 704-79-07.