On February 9, 2021, the International Union of Non-Governmental Organizations "The Eurasian Peoples' Assembly" held the International Expert Round Table "Topical Issues of Preserving Linguistic Diversity" under the auspices of the Commission of the Russian Federation for UNESCO. The event was timed to coincide with the International Mother Language Day.
The Round Table was broadcast live on the official account of the Eurasian Peoples' Assembly on Facebook.
Remind, on February 21, 2021, under the auspices of the Commission of the Russian Federation for UNESCO, the Eurasian Peoples' Assembly will hold the second event dedicated to the International Day of the Mother Language - the online marathon "Eurasian Languages Symphony”. The broadcast will take place on the YouTube channel of the Eurasian Peoples' Assembly.
The Secretary General of the Eurasian Peoples’ Assembly Andrei Belyaninov opened the work of the Round Table “Topical issues of preserving linguistic diversity”:
“This year we celebrate the International Mother Language Day on such a large scale for the first time. We hope that the initiative will take root and become permanent.
International Mother Language Day, proclaimed by the General Conference of UNESCO in 1999, is celebrated annually to promote linguistic and cultural diversity and multilingualism. Today, the preservation and development of the language is an important task for every state. Also, time dictates active public participation in solving the most pressing issues of life.
Experts in education, linguistics, ethnography and prominent public figures take part in our round table. It is important for us to understand what we can improve together, what problems can be solved by joint efforts, so that, passing history, culture and the best traditions from generation to generation, to master new progressive forms of communication, contribute in the future to improve the quality of life of all peoples."
Andrey Belyaninov noted that the task of developing native languages can and should become one of the important activity areas of the Eurasian Peoples' Assembly.
The Round Table participants were greeted by the Executive Secretary of the Commission of the Russian Federation for UNESCO Grigory Ordzhonikidze.
The moderator of the Round Table was Svetlana Smirnova, First Deputy Secretary General - Head of the General Secretariat of the Eurasian Peoples' Assembly.
Participants of the Round Table meeting:
- Stanislav Bedkin, Deputy Head of the Federal Agency for Ethnic Affairs (Russia);
- Alexandra Ochirova, UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador, Deputy Secretary General of the Eurasian Peoples' Assembly (Russia);
- Irina Kraeva, Rector of Moscow State Linguistic University (Russia);
- Andres Santana, Head of the International University Centre for Eastern Europe and Central Asia and the Pushkin Institute at the University of Cadiz (Spain);
- Mikhail Osadchiy, Vice-Rector for Science, Professor of the Department of General and Russian Linguistics of the Pushkin State Institute of the Russian Language (Russia);
- To Thi Tuyet Khanh, Advisor to the Head of the General Secretariat of the Eurasian Peoples' Assembly, Representative of the Banking Academy (Vietnam);
- Maxim Mikhalev, Associate Professor, Centre for Social Anthropology, Russian State University for the Humanities, UNESCO expert (Russia);
- Nursulu Shaimerdenova, Professor of the Department of Russian Philology and World Literature, NJSC “Al-Farabi KazNU”(Kazakhstan);
- Zukhra Shidakova, Deputy Chairperson of the Council of the Assembly of the People of Kyrgyzstan for Culture, Education and Youth Policy (Kyrgyzstan);
- Igor Surat, President of NOCHU VO "Moscow Economic Institute" (Russia);
- Lilit Meliksetyan, Professor of the Russian-Armenian University (Armenia);
- Valentina Ivanova, Chairman of the All-Russian Pedagogical Assembly, member of the Presidential Council for Cossacks Affairs, member of the Public Council under the Ministry of Education of Russia, President of the Moscow Razumovsky State University of Technology and Management (Russia);
- Gulvaira Kutsenko, member of the Presidential Council for Interethnic Relations, President of the Interregional Public Organization "Information and Educational Network of Indigenous Peoples" L'oravetl'an "(Russia);
- John Farndon, President of the Eurasian Creative Guild. London, Great Britain);
- Svetlana Sharenkova, member of the Presidium of the World Association of the Russian-Language Press, Chairperson of the Bulgaria-Russia Forum, Doctor of Political Science (Bulgaria);
- Murad Huseynov, People's Artist of Azerbaijan, laureate of international competitions, director of the International Mugham Centre (Azerbaijan);
- Alexander Khrenkov, President of the International Institute of Informatics, Management, Economics and Law in Moscow (Russia);
- Galina Druon, President of the European Association "GraltAn" - the Cultural Centre of the Peoples of Eurasia (France).
Speeches of the participants of the International Expert Round Table "Topical Issues of Preserving Linguistic Diversity", timed to coincide with the International Day of the Mother Language, will soon be published on the website of the Eurasian Peoples' Assembly. Follow the information in the Assembly's official accounts on social networks.