On September 21, 2022, in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the Eurasian Peoples' Assembly held a solemn reception on the occasion of the celebration of the International Day of Peace, approved by the UN General Assembly.
The event was attended by prominent public and academic figures, senators, members of parliament, representatives of international organizations, state and non-state structures of Jordan.
The Eurasian Peoples' Assembly annually holds the Day of Peace in order to involve representatives of the world community in the discussion of the paramount issues of maintaining peace and harmony.
The solemn ceremony was opened by the Secretary General of the Eurasian Peoples' Assembly Andrey Belyaninov. He emphasized the huge role of global governmental and non-governmental associations in organizing a constructive dialogue with the world community on mutual understanding and harmony between countries and peoples.
On the occasion of the celebration of the International Day of Peace, the Assembly received a video greeting from UN Secretary-General António Guterres.
“The strengthening of peace is a noble and necessary task and the only practical way to build a better, more just world for all peoples.
On this important day, when the regime of non-violence and ceasefire must be observed within 24 hours, we once again appeal to all peoples not just to lay down their arms, but to do something more.
We call on them to reaffirm the bonds of solidarity that hold humanity together and to build a better, safer world,” - António Guterres said.
During the celebration, a solemn presentation of insignia was held for the contribution to the promotion of the values of peace, the strengthening of friendship, trust and mutual understanding in the common Eurasian space. Distinctions were awarded to:
- Salam Tual, President of the “Avicena” Association of Alumni of Soviet and Russian Universities of Jordan, Advisor to the Ministry of Municipal Affairs of Jordan, Senior Specialist of the UN Development Program;
- Yusif Hamdan, Chairman of the Friendship Society;
- Amr Ezzat Salama, Secretary General of the Union of Arab Universities;
- Nidal Katamine, Jordanian senator;
- Uahib Karaji, Advisor to the Secretary General of the Association of Graduates of Soviet and Russian Universities;
- Nazir Obaidad, President of Jordan University;
- Muhamed Obaidad, Rector of Jadar University;
- Ghada Abu Rumman, Member of the Jordanian Parliament, Head of the Education Committee;
- Issa Dabakh, President of the RUDN Friendship Association.
The culmination of the evening was the charitable ceremony "Peace Bell" for strengthening peace and mutual understanding between countries and peoples. The ceremony was accompanied by a video recording of the musical composition "Stork on the Roof" performed by Yaroslava Degtyareva and Valentina Biryukova. Distinguished guests and organizers of the event rang the bells at the same time, thus demonstrating their readiness to make every effort to strengthen world peace.